Thursday 5 July 2012

25 - 29 June, 2012 The South Shore Lake Ontario New York State, USA



25 - 29 June, 2012 The South Shore Lake Ontario
New York State, USA
Don't forget clicking on photo's enlarge them.

Wow!!! Where to start. I have been putting this task off as I have been gathering my thoughts on how to approach this week long Blog report. Staying with what works and what I know or think I know.  I will write about each day and lighthouses visited in order.

25 June, 2012
Tibbett’s Point Lighthouse. How lucky am I, most of the regular paddle group wished to be part of this day wishing to see me off on the start of my New York State, South Shore Lake Ontario lighthouse adventure. We had planned to meet at the Wolfe Island ferry dock at 9 o’clock. I had picked a later start time as a Whig Standard reporter had requested to interview me about our MS Lighthouse visits. Thinking I wanted to have my regular paddle group be part of the interview, I thought doing it at the docks would work best for everyone. This paddle group have become a large part of this adventure and to me the best part. As it turned out the Whig reporter called at the last minute, he could not make it…..too bad really we wanted to get the word out about the upcoming MS Golf Tournament up on the Base. So if you’re a golfer and interested please call the Kingston MS Chapter for more info.

As I pulled onto the ferry dock I smiled at seeing Rob & Jane walking towards Tim Horton’s, they have become good friends and they are the type of people that just make you smile when you see them. After saying our hellos we decided it would be a good idea to place our vehicles in line for the ferry. With in a couple of minutes Janet & Linda pulled up a little excited with concern showing on their faces. It happened that Janet had forgot her passport and was unsure she wished to try a border crossing without it. Linda quickly said lets go back and get my car, they zoomed off and with in minutes they where back at the docks and in line two cars behind us. Rob & I moved Linda’s kayak from Janet’s car onto hers. Now, if Janet decided not to head into the states, Linda could stay with the group. As it turned out, that’s exactly what happened. Janet boarded the Wolfe Islander and followed us to Horne’s Ferry, when finding out what the Horne’s Ferry crossing cost we agreed, it did not make sense to pay that cost and be turned around 'cause of the passport or lack of.

Group loaded on the Wolfe Islander,
 ladies catching up with what has been happening


This was another dark day, everyone wearing warm outer gear.  Once again we are on the Wolfe Islander as I look down I wondered to myself, how many more times will I need to travel this ferry as part of this adventure.  4 more time I believe, we will see what the future brings. 


Love these Wolf Island wind mills





While travelling across the Wolfe Island everyone was noticing the very low skies. No thunder that is all we worry about really.








The Paddlers lined up waiting for Horne's Ferry



This is where we found out the cost to travel over and back.  Talking with Janet it just made sense not to waste good money knowing you will likely be turned around.









It was sad to see Janet turn around and head back. Janet was a large part of my 10 year after adventure from Thunder Bay to Kingston. She trained with me in the worst of weather, I remember sitting on the Kingston Mills Locks dock having lunch. We had on skidoo pants and winter coats which we carried in our kayaks, yes it was that cool. So for this to have happen on her first opportunity to paddle with this group was truly sad for me,  I know it was for her. There are many more lighthouses yet to paddle Janet.  You will be with us for sure.

Here sits a 10 year younger Janet, April 2002 yes we are kayaking in Skidoo pants and parka's, it was a very cold April that year.   Shore lunch at kingston Mills Locks.  Yes Janet I keep everything, so to the rest of the paddle gang if we are doing something like this in 10 years I will have all the photos.  I likely will not know where I put them, but I know I will have them.....smiling.

Ok stop with the walk down memory line. Horne’s Ferry was a blast, to get us all on with our kayaks hanging over the vehicles as they do, they had to place us in a very interesting pattern . At best this ferry holds 14 vehicles and it does motor along quite well. As you can see by the photos our day was not the best, but for this hardened group of seasoned paddlers it’s just another interesting paddle day.




Loading vehicles on Horne's Ferry




What an interesting loading dock, hummmmm I know this crossing was going to be a little spicy, as it turned out it was pretty smooth.








Cool colours we needed Vivan's Green Kayak



Our Group took up a lot of the Ferry as the kayaks hung well over our vehicles.












Linda in Holiday Photo pose, what a trooper you are.  Look at that smile, you know she loves this stuff. 







Bye Bye Canada



Looking out the back of the Ferry at Wolfe Island and Canadian customs dock.








Cape Vincent USA Customs Dock





Welcome to the U.S.A this is a fun little adventure in its self. I know Mollie and I will do this trip again.  $20.00 round trip if you come back the same day. 








The US Customs folks were as professional as they are anywhere else,  pleasant enough. With everyone safely on US soil, we planned to head to Tibbett’s Point do our paddle, then move onto Cape Vincent land lighthouse do a photo op and while on route do a couple of geocaches, have lunch and say our good byes. With in minutes we arrived at Tibbett’s Lighthouse where a Volunteer showed us where we could launch and park.

We made it to Tibbet's Lighthouse


Nice spot really very close to the water and the lighthouse.  You can also see Wolfe Island in the back ground. 







 



This was a all hands on board launch, we had to carry the kayaks over some very large rocks then launch into somewhat windy surf. Nothing for this seasoned team.







I love this photo Wind Mills & Lighthouses
How cool it that.



This was a jump better show you some Flag photo's.








Linda paddling and smiling




 With everyone on the water it was fun to do what we love to do and that is paddle and explore the shore.









Quick take the picture a wave is coming!!!





Did you notice the large horns on the smaller building, they were actually sounding while we were paddling by.











Ok! We are here and ready, where is Rob??









The gang said they missed Brent and Janet
Just cause the flag is so big ....smiling 





Did you get it ???? The wind is moving us along here.













Rob Paddling back to the lighthouse










Blue Heron we caught on film in the Fuller Bay. I guess not film anymore, gezzzzz I'm getting older....lol






Jane watching Rob




What a great picture, well I guess could have been nicer if we had Jane turned around, but you know what I mean....smiling.







Tibbett's Lighthouse






How cool they have made this lighthouse into an International Hostel, yes check it out, what a cool spot to spend a Night.










It was amazing to see how close Wolfe Island was to the lighthouse and how cool all the windmills looked in the background on our photos. With several photos taken and a little paddle of the near by bay we headed back to the launch spot. 





On shore again, what a fun group!!!!








No Linda I will not take my hat off....smiling



This well oiled team had the kayaks out of the water and on level ground with little effort. This is when we grabbed a volunteer to take a group photo with the lighthouse behind.









After getting the kayaks loaded we headed out to get our first Geocache of the New York Seaway Challenge, which just happened to be at the Tibbett’s Point lighthouse. This is the Link http://www.seawaytrail.com/geotrail/  With the cache found, Rob & Jane thought this would be a good cache to place a Travel Bug, so in it went. 



We signed the log and shared our interest of Geocaching with a family of “ Muggles “ who had caught us returning the cache to it‘s hide. This would be the first of several Seaway Caches I planned to visit while driving the Seaway Trail Route








Cool Travel Coin called " WherIGo " It will be fun to see where this coin travels to.







Now having completed this trail, I know Mollie and I will visit this route again, I can not say enough about it’s beauty.



I know but it was no the list.
It does have an interesting history.






The Group all loaded up, we headed off to Cape Vincent Lighthouse which we found just outside the county hall. Not much to say about this Lighthouse which was relocated here.  At least they saved it.







The second lighthouse of the day visited, we headed off to have lunch. Rob & Jane found a nice little lunch bar on the main drag call the Fisherman’s Fare. Soup and sandwiches for the ladies, brecky meals for the guys. It was a nice Mom and daughter place good food, with nice folks serving us.   Lunch over, it was time for me to say good bye to this great group of friends.   I was sad to leave them behind and I know if I had asked far enough in advance they would have gladly been part of the south shore adventure.   As I was pulling away Linda came up to my truck and asked how far Sackets Harbour and the Horse Island lighthouse was away…………..I smiled and told her it was a good distance, she said good luck and gave me a big hug. I was off.

Book on CD loaded in the player “ Break No Bones “ by Kathy Reichs I headed southeast to Sackets Harbour on Hwy 12e to Hwy # 3 west on the Seaway Trail.
On route to Sackets Harbour I stopped at Three Mile Bay were I found another one of the Seaway Trail Caches. Two down if you find ten across the South Shore on this trail New York State will give to a Seaway Trail Coin. I now had to go into Sackets Harbour to find what they call The Great Lakes Seaway Discovery Center Building. Here I would get my Seaway Trail Geocaching book.   Oh No !!!! It was closed hummmmmmmm this is not a problem I will just punch a card at each cache and save the cards for each visited. With lots of day left I thought why not see if I can locate Horse Island Lighthouse and possible paddle to it. 


The day was getting nicer, cool but the sun wanted to come out. I found Ontario St. on the out skirts of Sackets Harbour where I was hoping to find a launch ramp.   No such luck, as I travel this shore line road I was taken back by how close the island was to the main land.   I was a little confused, the distance looked much great on the maps. 


Tom McKay what an interesting person.



Stopped on the road to look at what I thought was my island, a gentlemen came across the road and inquired if I was lost.   I introduced myself to who I now know as Tom McKay and began to tell him my story.  Tom soon invited me to pull my truck over to the side of the road and come have a seat by the shore, where he began to tell me about Horse Island and it’s Lighthouse family.





As it turns out the Island is privately owned and has been since 1957, owned by the Martin family. Carl B Martin Jr. owned the lighthouse and it is still in the possession of Carl’s family. Carl B was an author who wrote only one book of this type. Sweet Pea : There Was A Little Girl With A Little Curl as it turns out it was about his daughter who had passed away.

Authors Notes from the book:


For much of my early life I lived in Watertown, NY, where I was born in 1926. I enlisted in the Navy with a close friend in 1944 through 1945 at age 17, finished high school afterward, and was married in 1945 at age 18. Our first born of five girls was Christina Martin, born in 1947, who is the daughter my bio-graphical novel is about. In 1952, I used the balance of my G.I. Bill to attend college center extension classes of St. Lawrence University that were held in the evening at Watertown High School. There I accumulated approximately fifty-two college credit hours. For a period of time I sold cars, and then for a brief time, insurance. I then spent thirty-one years in the sales department and consumer relations department for our upstate New York power company, Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation, and retired at age 60. Christina (Tina) was 40. My novel was written thirteen years after my daughter, Christina, passed away. I had thought about it always through those 13 years and finally decided it was time. I now reside in Henderson Harbour, New York, on Lake Ontario.



This Photo was taken several years
ago. I could not find the credited
Photographer.








Carl B. Jr. no longer lives on the island, however Tom mentioned that the family had a second property on the main land just three doors down from his place and directly across from Horse Island and their families lighthouse home. Carl B is not a young man, born in 1926 that would make him 86 years old.










After a short time chatting about the Martin family and the lighthouses history Tom asked if I would like to launch my kayak from his lawn. Also during our chat he mentioned a couple of times I would not likely see any of the lighthouse from the water as the trees have grown quite large along the shore line and have blocked all view of the old home and light tower. I said I was here and I wished to have a look and take a photo of what I could see. It’s on the list, I told him.

Not much to see Really



This was a very pretty location, you may have noticed that the water I was paddling in was not very deep.  If the truth be said I could have waded across between Tom's place and what your looking at.











What a wonderful place to have grown up. 










Tom was right as I got closer to the island which is not far from his place all I could see was a very little part of the lighthouses light. I was sadden in the fact that here again is a very interesting story about a hard working man, an interesting man and his family. I know I would have loved to have sat down with Carl B Jr and heard his life story, what drew him to buying a lighthouse in the first place, was his short time in the Navy? I know I will find his book and read it, maybe it will shed a little light into his life.

I tend to go off here, sorry.

For me this lighthouse adventure has been brilliant, giving me a great opportunity to see interesting places and spaces, meet good people with fascinating stories which I will hold close for years to come.  I love to listen to older folks tell stories of the past and younger folks talk about what they have seen and accomplished over their life. These are not Nobel Winners but genuine people who have worked competently at the same job for several years, making the best life they could for their family.
Respectable people sitting in camp grounds watching the sun go down with their grand kids, people living in grand homes on the shore of lake Ontario. All of them have one thing in common, they have shared their stories cause I was interested in hearing who they were and how they got to this point and time. What a privilege. 10 years ago I was asked, if you were to wrote a book about your paddle adventure, what would you call it? My answer then and would still be for this trip “ Shore People “ it’s amazing how unique and kind people are. The big question is, is it the water, the skies, the openness of the outdoors or just a connection we have with like minded people we meet in these places. People who wish to share, I’m not sure but I do know I feel privileged to have met them all. Sorry , this was brought on as think about Tom, Carl and the many other thoughtful folks who came into my life on this trip.




I could use  help on this one.  I don't think it was a duck blind.  I found this located on the most westerly point of Horse Island as I paddled around it trying to find a better location to see and photograph the lighthouse.  It was not to happen. 
Tom two cute little homes



Back !!!!!!! Soooo I paddled around the Island and headed back to Tom’s retirement property which has two well maintained homes. The second he told me was for family when they visit……..how nice right on the water.







Kayak loaded I said Thank You and Good Bye to Tom.  What an interesting man himself.  Worked for the Government many many years.  I believe he held a very high position.  Life is good for Tom
What can I say " Shore People "  Thanks Tom McKay.






I start to feel this day catching up with me and I knew I needed to get off the road and find a place to get food and lay my head down. No sooner had I thought about this when a sign for Westcott Beach State Park appeared ahead, turn signal on I entered the park. Well I have to say right off I love State Parks. They are clean and well maintained plus most have an interesting history. I booked in after traveling around looking at available site,






I took site # 58 which had a grand view of the water plus electricity. I placed the extra tarp on the tent as they were calling for heavy rains, glad I did. 











I set up camp, made my favourite camp food “ Camp pasta “  after cleaning up I walked the camp and was invited to a couple of fires but passed as I was getting tired and I wanted to find a phone to call Mollie.








As it turned out there are no pay phone in this area anymore, all gone. So chatting with Becky Humiston, the first person you meet as you enter the park gate.







I told her of my difficulties finding a phone. She asked if I had an e-mail address I gave it to her and she pulled out her private phone and e-mail Mollie right then and there. Telling Mollie I was doing find and where I was, plus what my plan was for the next day. I was shocked and very thankful to her for being so kind and doing this for me.
Again  “ Shore People “ Thanks Becky

I would also like to thank the kind family on the site next to me, I hope you found Tibbett's Lighthouse as interesting as we did.  Looking out over Lake Ontario and seeing the large ships go by can be cool.   Plus Laura & Carl who have the yappy little dog, thanks for the chats.  Just kidding about the dog, who knew Brighton, Ontario had large chicken farms.  I now have chicken stories......smiling. 

" Shore People "





I competed my walk and sat by my little tent and watched the sun go down till it started to rain. It was not long for me to fall asleep,







I woke twice during the night, once for nature and the second to strap down the extra trap I placed over the tent. The winds seemed to be getting much stronger. Back in the tent, again I was asleep before my head hit the pillow, pillow? I know truck camping is great you have room for such things………..smiling.

Day #1 was complete and I was tired and happy.

Once again folks remember we are raising Awareness & Funds for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Kingston Chapter. If you wish to make a donation/pledge please call the Kingston Chapter at 613-384-8500 . Tell them you wish to pledge to “ 20 Years To Enlightenment “ and it all stays in the Kingston and area.


No comments:

Post a Comment