Sunday 15 July 2012

25 - 29 June, 2012 The South Shore Lake Ontario

25 - 29 June, 2012 The South Shore Lake Ontario
New York State, USA
Day # 2
Don't forget clicking on photo's enlarge them.
 
Day # 2 Westcott State Park
I awoke at day break, had my tent down and all gear stowed in the truck ready to roll by 07:30hrs. My plan for today was to drive to Henderson Harbour, rounding Henderson Bay on Hwy #3 check out the village, then head out to my planned launch point and start my three day round trip paddle to Galloo Island and lighthouse.

As I was getting into my truck to leave the park, Jim Shirley who was the Westcott Beach State Park C.A.P for the this week was out walking his cat, yep on a leash. Jim was the first person to visit me at my tent site the evening before.
. I come to find out that all the state parks in New York State have retired folks doing these C.A.P duties. ( C.A.P. = Camper Assistance Program ) They get a electric golf cart and they go around and make sure everyone has what they need. After the gates close, they become the go to people. C.A.P’s get to camp on the best of sites for free and in the even if they see a problem they just call Park security . You really need to see these golf carts, they are equipped with a garden hose on a roller rack, so in the evening as they travel the park, hook there garden hoses up to any site water tap and they water all the beautiful gardens around the park. I want this job. Most of the C.A.P. folks I met on this adventure had really nice trailers, they do two weeks on and two weeks off. What a great deal. I waved good bye to Jim and headed for the main gate. As I approached the gate house Becky from the night before stopped me and mentioned that Mollie had e-mail her back thanking her for let her know I was alright. She said good bye and hope to see both Mollie and I in the future. Hugs again Hummmmmm Did I say “ Shore People “

Leaving the park I head west on Hwy # 3 for a short distance then got off onto Harbour Rd and arrived in the port village of Henderson Harbour. As I look at the sheltered part of Henderson Bay I noticed that the winds & waves where extremely high, I’m not liking this. I travel through the village and out onto Military Rd then Snowshoe Rd rounding Whites Bay, then Snowshoe Bay onto Snowshoe Island ending at Association Island RV Resort & Marina on Association Island. At the resort I met Paul the resort manager, my contact. Paul was allow me to park my vehicle inside the resort while I went on my three day paddling. Oh did I not say for“ Free“ Paul really had no idea what my trip was about other than I was kayaking for MS. He just wanted to help. “ Again, Shore People “

A=KOA Camp Launch Point
B= Stoney Island
C= Galloo Lighthouse

As we were chatting getting to know one another, Paul asks what my paddle trip entailed , I told him my plan to paddle from his resort out to Stoney Island spend the night there. Then the next day paddle out to Galloo Island and visit the Lighthouse and return to Stoney Island spend my second night on the island, then return to the resort on Association Island day three. Paul was looking kind of concerned, then he just asked. Have you talked with the owner of Stoney Island? I said I had not as I was of the understanding Stoney Island was a Conservation Island. This is when all my research and planning went south. Paul informed me that Stoney Island had recently been bought and is now a very very private company owned island. The company that owns the island does not allow anyone other then company staff to visit. Hummmmmmm what to do? Paul mentioned that the company that owns the Island have a small marina and office on Harbour Rd in Henderson Village. He said why not go and ask if they would allow you to camp for the nights you need. So with renewed hope I head back to Harbour Rd as I travel back along this shore line road I could not help feeling the strong winds shaking the truck plus the sea’s to my right where extremely rough. The waves had to be 5 to 6 ft high breaking as they hit this island causeway. I had noticed the marine weather report at the resort, 30 knot winds, waves 1½ to 2 meters increase later in the day. My day is not looking good.

I found the company marina, checked at the office, no one around there, so then I looked in the covered dock area, there was no one around. I’m thinking that the island manager had already headed out to the island for the day. Oh well, I will return later in the day as there is really no hurry right, not like I’m going to be paddling today in these winds. Regrouping I decided to head out to the second Lighthouse in this area, just to have a looky look. Leaving Henderson Harbour I head out to Stoney Point Lighthouse, I travel Lighthouse Rd till I come to one of the nicest Lighthouses yet. While I driving out lighthouse road I’m noticing no boat launch’s or even a beach. I arrive at the Lighthouse and was delighted with how remarkable it looked. This lighthouse showed pride of ownership picturesque as it was in the day. I take a few photo’s from the road, while doing a little exploring looking for possible launch sites. Finding nothing, I decide to start back to Henderson. On my return trip I stop and ask two ladies on their morning walking if there is a boat launch in the area of the lighthouse. Nope!!! Only one is back in Henderson. Ouch that would be a 7 Km paddle one way. Not going to happen today for sure. After chatting with the ladies for a few minutes I thanked them and headed back to Stoney Island Office. Still no luck.
I was starting to get little unhappy as I’m seeing day #2 passing without visiting a single lighthouse. Sitting looking out at the crashing wave I realized this is about the journey take advantage of this and do a little touring. I first stopped at the Cherry Tree restaurant and had a large breakfast for lunch, food always lifts my sprits. Then I headed down the road to hit a couple of Geocaches.


 


On my travels I visited a very nice Veterans Memorial Site near an outdoor market and garden center. I picked up some home made biscuit and found a picnic table at the Memorial Site. With coffee and a biscuit in hand, I just looked at the gardens remembering old military friends that have passed away. It was nice to take the time and remember them, smiling to myself. I think of all the craziness we got into back then. 



AH-64 Apache


So many great places we saw, things we did, but the most memorable for me where the times by a fire in the woods by a lake, so many laughs and beers. Which helped the laughs as well as the craziness. Then my thoughts turn to Mollie and how she put up with so much over the years, she is a saint for sure.






AH-64 Apache
Light Bulb Moment!!!! I headed back into Henderson Village to find the library, I needed to E-Mail Mollie. I wanted to let her know I would not likely be heading out to Galloo Island, I know she was worried about this part of the trip. The folks at the Library where more then kind and got me set up, allowing all the time I needed. I even down loaded some photo’s off the camera’s. Yes, all three. On finishing up at the library I was feeling Ok with my day, I once again had a plan.

Ready for second night on the road.

Now around 3;30 pm I’m thinking I need to find a camp location. I headed back to Westcott State Park and Becky welcomed me back. I set up camp so I would be ready for the night and thought what the heck lets give the Stoney Island Office one more try. As it turned out I arrived just as the 28ft cruiser from the island was docking. I met the island manager Bruce. He was very understanding, however he had been confronted with requests like mine before. Paddlers wanting to sleep on the island overnight. He said he approached head office with their request and the answer came back a strong NO!!. Liability was their reason. Bruce was very understanding and I truly felt if there was any way he could help me, he would have.






So that was that. After this answer I felt like a drive. I headed back out to Stoney Point Lighthouse to find a Geocache located just across the street form the lighthouse.




As I was pulled up to the cache site, one of the ladies I had chatted with earlier in the day said Hi. She asked what I was doing and why I was looking for a boat launch area earlier. I first told her about geocaching and she ended up helping me find the cache. While we where looking for the cache I told her my story, on completion she looked at me and said use our place. I said what, she said use our place, we just live down on the next point from the lighthouse. She also said, you won’t even have to take your kayak off your truck, you can use mine. Well Mary as I come to find out starts walking towards her home and waves me to follow in the truck. We get to her place and she says come on in and meet Don.

She tells Don what I’m doing and that I’m going to launch from there front lawn, Don looks out at the waves. I notice this and I said I will be back tomorrow morning. Mary interrupts and says that she goes out in this stuff all the time.  I’m looking out at the waves which have appeared to have decreased in size but there are still the odd breaker crashing in.. Hummmm. However not wanting to miss this opportunity I said I would give it a go.  Don’s smiling, I know what he is thinking, he is thinking this guy is crazy. I’m thinking he maybe right….

First of many shots of Kayak and waves.


Kayak readied I give Mary my second camera and ask her to take a few picture of me coming in, knowing this ride is going to be sick. Pushing my kayak into the breaky surf I manage to get in and skirt up before I get to much water in the boat. I paddle out into 5 to 6 foot breaking waves……..what a rush. Experience tells me this is the easy part turning and getting a photo with the flag will be very difficult, if not impossible. I get out about a km off shore and the wave have lost their viciousness so I manage to get some pretty good photo’s of the lighthouse.









Finally a shot of the lighthouse.

This time it was of my face




















While having the camera up to my eye I take a wave full on sideways, it was everything I could do not to roll. Rolling would be deadly, these breaking waves are heaving over shallow rock shoals underneath, there would be no way to up right this kayak let alone just hanging onto it. I manage to save myself and straighten up with the waves, turning a 17’10’’ kayak in these conditions hummmmmmmm. All I can say is… what a Friggin BLAST!!!!. As you can see by the pictures I manage to get at few ok shots of the lighthouse and flag, now the ride into shore.

Opps!!! yep I'm OK, just few large waves coming while taking pictures

Anyone who kayaks can tell you that riding a crazy ass wave into shore is very difficult. I really can’t believe I survive this insane approach to shore. There where so many undercurrents from gaps in the shoal rock which you can’t see, what they do is lift you up and try and spin you.

Ok!!!!!  Now This is what I'm talking about....this is Fun Fun 






This was a new experience for me I most say, I want to do it some more what a ride. Thanks Mary for getting the photo’s, no one would believe these breakers.


 






After getting safely onto shore Mary said “ it’s a little windier then she thought “ I smiled thinking REALLY, YOU THINK !!!!




Mary & Don Stevens " Nice Folks "


Smiling big time I felt good, I got a lighthouse in today. Mary & Don where kind hosts, after an hour of sitting on their beautiful deck chatting about retirement and kayaking I notice the sun was getting lower in the sky. It was time for me to say good bye. What a nice couple Don & Mary Stevens I can’t thank you enough, hummmmm did I mention “ Shore People “



 


Back to the Westcott Park and supper, tonight will be Camp Rice. I love this stuff, I truly do. As I pull in who is there to greet me, Jim he asked how my paddling day went and invited me over to his site later. I make supper feeling much more alive after that awesome paddle. While I sit eating I have a few visitors, the first was the family that went to Tibbett’s Lighthouse with their grand kids. They thanked me for my recommendation, they had an awesome time. I guess they saw many Lake Freighters/ships and they where allowed into the lighthouse. After supper I thought I would head out for a walk and that is when the yappy dog got my attention I walked over as Laura was setting a fire, she asked if I would like to sit and share her fire. I thought what a nice offer, so as the sun sets I learnt more about this hard working couple from Brighton Ontario. I learnt that they loved to camp and they love U.S. State Parks best. I spent an hour chatting and said my good nights, I wanted to catch the last of the sunset over the beach area.


Same spot as the night before Day # 2



I had not traveled much today but I was still tired. I went and had a shower, which always make me feel good and was in the sack by 10:30 asleep by 10:31 not much written in the daily this evening, glad I wrote most of what happened while eating supper.








My plan for tomorrow is head down the Seaway Trail to Selkirk Lighthouse and see what happens after that. So end day # 2

Doe & two fawns crossing Lighthouse Rd

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Veiw of lighthouse driving back from Don & Mary's
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Once again folks remember we are raising Awareness & Funds for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Kingston Chapter. If you wish to make a donation/pledge please call the Kingston Chapter at
613-384-8500 . Tell them you wish to pledge to
“ 20 Years To Enlightenment “ and it all stays in the Kingston and area.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment