Tuesday 17 July 2012

25 - 29 June, 2012 The South Shore Lake Ontario

25 - 29 June, 2012 The South Shore Lake Ontario
New York State, USA
Day # 3
Don't forget clicking on photos enlarge them.


Day # 3 Westcott State Park
I was a little later getting started this morning. I had the tent down, breaky done and gear all loaded by 08:10. My plan for today is Selkirk & Oswego lighthouses combined with a Geocache or two along the way. Passing through the park gates for the last time I stopped to said good bye to Becky Humiston, big hugs and she asked if she needed to send Mollie an e-mail telling her my plans. I said thanks but will talk to her later in the day. Becky then asked if I would be paddling in these strong wind, they are saying on the radio 25 to 30 knot winds on the lake. Another day of questioning the lakes forces.

I was looking forward to the nice drive along Hwy # 3 the Seaway Trail. I once again passed Henderson Harbour, as I did I was drawn to the large rolling waves crashing over the heavy grey rocks which made up most of the shore line here. It looked very uninviting to a sea kayak paddler. However on the good side I had a ways to go before I reached Selkirk, with time the winds may decrease.

Parking Area and Boat ramp at
Sandy Creek


It seemed before I knew it my GPS gave the 500 meter to a cache chime. Sandy Creek, this was a Seaway Geocache and a must do. I started to slow down and there ahead was a parking area next to the small Creek. I parked and started my what turned out to be about a km hike to the cache site. It was an easy find and a very interesting hike………this is a very busy fish creek.


Another Seaway Trail Cache down







I know I had my coffee while hiking in, it was not that far 1.1 kms one way. 












All along the trail in there was interesting information stops, actually very cool stuff.



Selkirk Lighthouse




Back in the truck I’m on my way listening to my book on CD before I knew it I was reading signs Selkirk, next right Lake St which is the road I needed to follow to the lighthouse. Traveling along the Salmon River on Lake St I noticed that this was an old village, with few new homes in this area. It seemed within minutes I was at the end of the road and at the lighthouse.








This once beautiful lighthouse surely had seen better days. The out buildings certainly had not seen a caring person’s hand in a great deal of time. Once again I felt a sadness at seeing such a beautiful building fall to ruin. I later found out that the locals have also been greatly effected by the lighthouse falling on hard times as it brought many visitors to this once busy sports fishing port.

While sitting in my truck taking it all in I once again had to noticed that the winds had not let up if anything they had increased in strength. I was very lucky with this lighthouse as it over looked a very sheltered harbour and I could stay next to the breakwater out of harms all the way to the main lighthouse and the outer breakwater light.

Building on the left was the old Hotel



Turning around in what was once the lighthouse hotel parking lot, I could see the cabins and the old hotel which were part of the lighthouse property. If their old bones could speak, I’m sure the story of once grander times, would rivet amateur sportsmen like myself to their seats. The stories of the fish that got away, fish caught and stories about what Lake Ontario is noted for, the quickly turning high seas and strong winds. Yes, strong winds that is what I need to focus on today.


On my arrival at the lighthouse I drove through a gate which said private launching only, I did not know if that meant the parking lot I was sitting in as well.   So not wishing to encroach I drove back out in search of a public launch location. As I was driving back along the Salmon River this time not looking for a lighthouse I paid more attention to the riverside homes and that is when I came across what looked to be rental cabins.






I pulled in alone side one of the cabins and as I did a very busy looking woman came out. She turned and noticed I was there and with a great smile, this lovely women quickly said hello and welcomed me to Clark’s Cottages.  I introduced myself and I soon found out I was chatting with Patricia Clark of Clark’s Cottages




Clark's Canoe/kayak launch



Briefly I explained to Patricia that I was paddling all the lighthouses on Lake Ontario and was in need of a launch location. Before I could ask if they had such a spot and how much it would cost, Patricia quickly said we would love for you to use our small canoe/kayak launch and there is no cost. She walked me to this very small dock between two boat houses.








All I could say was thanks and the wind will not get me here…..smiling. Did I mention “shore people “  I carefully off load the kayak and launched all the while smiling to myself, the places I see and the people I meet how lucky am I. 




Note to the right of the lighthouse
more of the old hotel


Leaving their dock I paddled out of a little bay into Salmon River and the Harbour under the Lighthouse. The winds were swift and starting to play with my light kayak. This was a Charter Fishing Harbour and along the shores lay, waiting for calmer days, a small fleet of seriously rigged charter boats for hire. Salmon River, what do you think….smiling.



The wind does not show on the water,
however I feel it moving the kayak




I paddle to a location I thought would give me my best photos. Once again while taking my flag shots I could not help but imagine this beautiful old stone lighthouse in the old days without the road and the fishing boats lining the shore in front of it. It would have been a true postcard photo.


I the harbour the winds are coming
from all directions.










Getting my 20 shots of the inner lighthouse it was time to paddle the breakwater to the outer harbour channel light.







Inside the breakwater Salmon River Harbour




Yes, as I got closer to the outer light and harbour entrance the winds kept increasing quite a bit. I was so happy this light was inside a large stone breakwater. If it had been out in the open I’m sure I would have been sitting on shore again waiting out the winds.




Click on picture to enlarge, one would this it
windy out beyond the breakwater....smiling. 




It was a true challenge getting a photo of the flag, kayak and light. As it turned out I never did get one with the light, flag and kayak. The best I got was kayak and light, no flag. I guess that would fall under “ OH Well “ the kayak will have to do.






Trying to capture the lighthouse and flag from a different side on my way back into the harbour.









After returning to Clark’s I had a nice chat with Patricia and her husband who I never did get his name. He was an avid sailor and was heading to Collin’s Bay Kingston to race his sailboat the following weekend.



Hope for better day ahead.





I thanked them, wished him well on race day and headed down the road to Oswego. As I hit Hwy # 3 I noticed the time was 11:20hrs, how could that be I really was not rushing and I have two lights down already. Good Bye Salmon River & Selkirk Lighthouse.





It was getting close to lunch time when I came across a wonderful little roadside bake stand where I bought a 6 pack of home made tea biscuits, they were extremely large and without a doubt the best Tea Biscuits I’ve had in a long long while. I offered to marry the woman who baked them, but I would have been her fourth man and she said she was not willing to train another. I think she was in her eighties if not older, she said she was flattered just the same. I said I think my first and still wife would cut parts of me away if I remarried to a better cook……we both laughed.

Village Park in Texas, New York



Taking my awesome treasure I got onto Hwy 104b and drove into the village of Texas where I located a beautiful village park over looking Mexico Bay, Lake Ontario which just happened to have a couple of Geocaches.











After dining on fresh biscuits, butter, old cheddar cheese and an apple I went in pursuit of not one but two Seaway Trail Geocaches. Quick finds, I was on my way again.





Oswego here I come and there just happens to be a challenge cache at Fort Oswego, which happens to be one of the two Forts that over looks the Oswego lighthouse, the second Fort would be Fort Ontario.

Many battles over the years where fought at both these forts, this is the story of one such battle at Fort Oswego, The French and Indian War:  During the French and Indian War, the French commander, General Montcalm, arrived in August with 3,000 men. His force included 3 regiments of regulars, several companies of Canadian militia, and numerous Indians. He first captured Fort Ontario, then began the assault on Fort Oswego. Oswego was the stronger fortification, but it was now downhill from 120 cannons in the abandoned Fort Ontario. Montcalm swept the fort with cannon fire, killing the British commander, Colonel Mercer, in the bombardment. British forces were forced to surrender on August 15, 1756.
Montcalm gave much of the British supplies to his Indian allies, and destroyed the fort. He returned to Quebec in triumph with 1,700 prisoners. His actions made a very strong impression on the Indian allies of the British, and caused the Oneida and the Seneca tribes to switch to the French side.

Fort Oswego Cache,  Another one bites the dust!!



I arrived at the Fort by following my GPS which was leading me to the Seaway Trail Geocache and guess what the cache over looks. Yeppers, Oswego Lighthouse and with in a couple of minutes I have found and logged the cache. Returning to my truck at the parking lot, which just happens to over looks my next challenge the Oswego lighthouse.

This was a close up of the Oswego Breakwater &
 Lightouse from Fort Oswego




I noticed a lunching park employee in his truck a couple of vehicles away. He seemed intent on watching Lake Ontario’s intense winds force rolling waves crashing into and over the lighthouse/harbour breakwater way in the distance.








I walked over and asked him if there was a place I could launch my kayak inside the breakwater…….He laughed and began telling me how I could get to the public launch. Then he proceeded to say I was crazy to even think about going out in this wind. I thanked him for the information and the advise.  Ok, so I was not thinking pure thoughts as I walked away, but he maybe right......smiling

kayak off loaded Launch booth up left of flags.

As it turned out this was the launch I had planned to use in the first place. How lucky am I, once again “ Shore People “ The kind lady at the boat launch booth informs me that I get to launch/park for free. It most be my brown eye’s and “ No “ it’s cause I’m full of it………..well I don’t think so anyway…………smiling. I find out later that at all state boat launches Canoes & Kayaks get to launch for free.


Photo taken as I enter the outer Oswego Harbour




Kayak geared up, I launch knowing that the winds and waves on the west side of the harbour breakwater are just out of controlfine if I stay close to the breakwater’s lee side. As I paddle along it hits me, if I turn south I couple paddle all the way to Ithaca, New York where Mollie’s sister Beth and family live……Hummmmmmmmm maybe a future trip.





Ok, so when I start into the harbour the waves are a little choppy but as I start to paddle along the breakwater in calms down. I’m having a blast, winds are not a problem here however the waves crashing the breakwater fly over and keep me cool.







The fun part is you don’t know when and where the waves will come over……wet, smiling and happy to be able to get another lighthouse done regardless of the heavy winds I reach the lighthouse.



Flag attached to ladder.




I paddle right up along side the lighthouse and place the MS flag onto a concrete ladder for a photo or two. It at this point the wind has a chance to take hold of my kayak and blows me out into the rough water.


Photo does not show the high of waves.....
 




It was a bit of a battle getting back into calm waters, so with this in mind I quickly take a few photos of the flag and lighthouse, safely retrieve the flag and head back along the breakwater to the inner harbour.





Heading back into Oswego Inner Harbour




On the paddle back I frequently get reminded of the strong winds ‘cause of the waves that crash over the breakwater and at times onto my little boat and it’s pilot “ Me “.





Oswego Marine Museum



Back on land, kayak loaded I can’t believe my good fortune, I managed to get both planned lighthouses completed in spite of the days strong winds. Enjoying this area, I took a walk along the shore to the Marine Museum, took a couple of photos had my lunch of cheese, biscuits and a couple of apples.





Looking at the time I could not believe this day, it was only 13:48hrs “ 1:48pm “ I guess I will head to my next stop. Sodus Point which has two lights.

Now on Hwy # 104, still the Seaway Trail, I drive into the small town of Fair Haven and while stopped at the one traffic light on main street I happen to notice to the town library. Everything for a reason I say, I pull it hoping it is open. Within 15 minutes I was in and out having e-mailed Mollie that I was still alive and heading for Sodus and will likely spend the night there.

Park Enterance



Enjoying the drive while listening to my book on tape the chime of my GPS tells me I’m 585 meters away from another Seaway Trail Challenge Geocache. I pull right into Chimney Bluff State Park.








I most say Geocaching has brought me to many interesting places. Places I would have never stopped to visit or better yet even know about, this was one of them. I could not believe my good fortune once again. As I started my hike I quickly understood this was special place.

Chimney Bluff State Park 



I could go on and on about this Park and the Chimney Bluff the photos I took were enormously shy of telling you what I saw on this hike, plus the betteries went died in my camera as I got right into the bluffs. So as always I went to my trusted You Tube. The attached link truly does the Bluff justice. I did find the cache, but better yet I found another special place.





A special place I will share with Mollie in the near future.    Here is the link from You tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=628SlTNQBGk&feature=related 

Chimney Bluff Cache Punch # 15





This is what brought me to this extremily interesting place.  Chimney Bluff Cache.  Punch # 15









On completion of the Bluff hike I thought why not visit the Sodus lighthouses. While walking the bluffs I could see that the winds had actually gotten stronger.




I pulled off Hwy # 104 into the resort village Sodus Point. What a beautiful little waters edge village, cottage country for sure. To get to the Point I followed my GPS to yet another Cache which is right at the piers of the outer light. At 16:50hrs, 4:50pm I found the cache in a sign by the building next to the pier leading to the light. This was an act of a brave man, no one was on this pier or beach.



The algae is actually being blown off pier.


Ok, did I say the winds had increased, maybe or maybe not, but on this point of land you knew that they where 25 to 30 knot winds for sure. These photo actually shows years old algae being blown from the pier leading to the outer light. The sand from the beach was actually hurting as it hit your legs, it was filling my ears while I was taking the photos.







Love this photo, no kayaking in my sea kayak today.  Wish I had a white water boat, what a blast that would be.











Who wants to walk out there ?
So this is 25 to 30 know winds, Hummm
























Not wishing to have all the paint removed from the truck I decided to head over to the old Sodus Point Lighthouse and now museum . This lighthouse can only be described as a treasure, it’s location “ Awesome “ you could actually see the Chimney Bluff from the bench sitting in the beautiful very well maintained gardens.

 



Sodus Point Outer Light




This photo was take from Sudos Point Lighthouse Museum, note the Chimney Bluff's in the background. 










I walked around taking in all it views. I had the good fortune to meet a local lady named Kathy who told me the history of the lighthouse and Sodus. Not wishing to leave I knew I had to find a camp ground before it started to get dark. Besides I was getting very hungry.









With direction from Kathy I found a wonderful little Campground RV park called South Shore RV Park. I did not get any photos of the park so here is the link: http://www.southshorervpark.com/pictures/pictures.htm    Very Nice place with very nice people. With my tent up, my camp rice & biscuits dinner made and completely devoured, I sat back and just thought about this amazing day. It was at this time my neighbour in the site next to me, a young geologist from Missouri introduced himself and we shared our stories. He was in upstate NY on a dig which happened to be in the middle of a farm’s field. The samples he showed me where taken to prove or disprove a theory which happened to be way beyond the average brain.   He was trying the best he could to dummy it up so I could understand but really I kept getting lost. Nathan I’m sorry for not getting it, but I did enjoy our chat.  I also enjoyed our chat with Dennis about the deer with the two p---- that he shot…..smiling.  I also want to thank Dennis Riley who was also from Missouri, the town of Nixa, for letting me use his laptop to e-mail Mollie, letting her know I was still doing well. Dennis was in town to get a plant ready for a special inspection.  Good Lucky with that Dennis.



I'm hoping for better winds tomorrow.



After my visit with these two very intweresting young men  I decided to head back to the Old Sodus Lighthouse to watch the sunset.






 



What a nice way to end this awesome day. After the sun completely set it was time to head back to camp and bed.



Night and Light
What a way to live life, how lucky are we this is all right in our back yard.

What a day!!!!!

This Ends Day # 3

Once again folks remember we are raising Awareness & Funds for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Kingston Chapter. If you wish to make a donation/pledge please call the Kingston Chapter at 613-384-8500 . Tell them you wish to pledge to
“ 20 Years To Enlightenment “ and it all stays in the Kingston and area.



No comments:

Post a Comment