Friday 20 July 2012

25 - 29 June, 2012 The South Shore Lake Ontario New York State, USA Day # 4




25 - 29 June, 2012 The South Shore Lake Ontario
New York State, USA
Day # 4
Don't forget clicking on photos enlarge them

Wow!!!! What a change in weather, I woke up early and not wishing to wake any of the other campers I quietly broke camp and pulled out of my South Shore Camp Site without even eating breaky.   I just wanted to get to the water and get a couple of lighthouses in while the winds were still low.


Sheriff/Coast Guard Office to right of truck 


I got to the Sodus Point Beach Park and realized that I had not thought about a launch point the day before. Thinking to myself “ it was likely cause your skin was being removed by flying beach sand “. At this hour in the morning there was no one around at all, let alone on the inner bay beach, which happened to lay next to the Sheriff’s/Coast Guard Offices. Hummmmm ..



Beach on Sodus Bay behind truck


I said to myself, this be the spot, I should be out and back before anyone else arrives. I launched from this sheltered sandy beach and began my paddle along the channel leading out to Lake Ontario and to the Outer Light which was established in 1870 to show fishermen the end of pier that protected the channel leading into Sodus Bay.


Sodus Point Outer Light



This morning the winds and lake Gods where in my favour, with nearly no waves I paddled up to the outer light. Enjoying the freshness of the morning lake air I took several photo’s of this truly important light, then continued on out into Lake Ontario.





Much different look at this light this morning, no waves crashing over the pier.  I love that there were a few clouds in the sky.

Out of the channel I then pointed my kayak westerly to the original and more majestic Old Sodus Point Lighthouse. I could not believe my good fortune, the sun was just perfect behind my back as I paddled the 2.6 Kms to the Lighthouse.




Sodus Point Lighthouse





As I approached the lighthouse I started to take photos then stopped and sat just taking it all in. Here I am, no one to be seen and I get to enjoy this simple but breath-taking vista. I guess it is the eye of the beholder thing.




Nice lighting.













Can this be the same place as yesterday???






Photos taken, I turn and paddle back to the outer light then down the channel to the beach.









Looking into Sodus Bay while paddling the harbour channel. 








I was just tying down the kayak as the first employee of the Sheriff Office showed up. It was the Sheriff himself, he stopped and we chatted about the weather and my paddling project for a couple of minutes. He mentioned that he had seen me the day before on the beach braving the sand storm taking photos of the pier and the light. He also said he thought at one point I was thinking of going out to paddle and he was just about to come out and stop me. I told him at no time paddling was on my mind, he chuckled and said, I see all kinds here. Wishing me luck he was off to open the office.





Goodbye Sodus Point Lighthouse




I too was off and as I turned onto Hwy # 104 the Seaway Trail I looked at the trucks clock 08:15 am and already two lights off the list.













By O8:30 I had logged my next Trail Cache, named Maxwell’s Silver ( Steel ) Hammer ( head ) located in Beechwood State Park. It was a very short hike next in and out along the creek. It was worth it as I had recovered a Proxy: Groundspeak Lackey 2009 Geocoin



St Peters Wreck Cache



At 09:00 I had stopped at B. Forman County Park to recover my second Seaway Cache of the day “ St Peters Wreck “ this was a very nice park overlooking Lake Ontario. By 09:45hrs I was on Hwy # 104 heading to Rochester NY and my next two lighthouses.







On my way to the Charlotte Genesee Lighthouse on Lake Ave, while sitting at a Street light I noticed another Library so I made a mental note to come back and E-Mail Mollie as to where and what I was up to.

Turning on to River Rd, I found the Boat launch for the Genesee River. I hope to get two Lighthouses and a new one that sits on the Coast Guard Building. Arriving at the Boat Launch, ready to launch I find out that the town of Rochester does charge a fee to launch.




The launch security guard showed me the machine which does not take cash, so using the my credit card I get my launch pass. Having the launch pass is cool cause it gave me an idea when I launched 11:33 am.


As I paddled out of the launch the first thing that I came across was the old Railway Swing Bridge which is no longer in use, but still remains as a reminder of days gone by. The Rail bed that connected on either side of the swing bridge is now used as a State Multi Use Trail.










Paddling south past the bridge I headed down the Genesee River to the Charlotte Genesee Lighthouse, unfortunately this part of the river is now quite commercial so getting a nice photo of the lighthouse was near impossible. I hang the MS flag on a dock in front to take my photo.







Charlotte Genesee Lighthouse photo taken from link just so you get a better idea of what it looks like.







Pinta & Nina Tall Ships



Pictures taken I now head north up the river to Lake Ontario and the Rochester Harbour light which is another pier and channel light. On my way to the Harbour Light, I passed a couple of replica Ships.







More on the ship:

Rochester, NY.- On Thursday, June 10, the ‘Pinta’ and the ‘Nina’ will arrive in Rochester. The ships will be docked at 1000 River St. (formerly 4658 Lake Ave,) adjacent to Ontario Beach Park, until their departure early Monday morning June 30th.

The ‘Nina’ was built completely by hand and without the use of power tools. Archaeology magazine called the ship “the most historically correct Columbus replica ever built.” The craftsmanship of construction and the details in the rigging make it a truly fascinating visit back to the Age of Discovery.

The ‘Pinta’ was recently built in Brazil to accompany the ‘Nina’ on all of her travels. She is a larger version of the archetypal caravel and offers larger deck space for walk-aboard tours and has a 900 sq. ft. main salon down below to view slide shows of the ships’ construction. The ‘Pinta’ is available for private parties while in port.





Both ships will be touring together as a new and enhanced ‘sailing museum’, for the purpose of educating the public and school children on the ‘caravel,’ a Portuguese ship used by Columbus and many early explorers to discover the world.





While in port, the general public is invited to visit the ships for a walk aboard self-guided tour. The ship will be open to the public, June 11, 12 and 13 from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. No reservations necessary. The prices are $7.00 for adults, $6.00 for senior citizens and $5.00 for students. Children 4 and under are free. Teachers or organizations wishing to schedule a 30 minute guided tour with a crew member should call 1-787-672-2152 and leave a message. Minimum of 15. No Maximum. $4.00 per person.


Scott getting the flag in order



It’s at Rochester Harbour Light that I had the chance meeting with Scott & Andrea. Scott was enjoying the great views from this location under the light when I asked him if he would hold the MS Flag for the photo. As much as he knew this task could be difficult was more then pleased to help me out.




Rochester Harbour Light







Andrea a kind young mother out on a walk with her young mothers group, graciously asked Scott if she could help by holding one end. Two people drawn together by chance doing a good turn off. I noticed Andrea walking with Scott back along the pier. Thanks, Scott and Andrea for you help. Sorry, I did not catch your last names, often think about what the two of you talked about on your return walk down the pier. “ Shore People “



Coast Guard Station Rochester Harbour





The second lighthouse completed I south again heading back along the east side of the river taking in the Coast Guard building with it’s unofficial light and viewing tower. I thought I would add this to my list of lights.






By 12:40 I was off the water loaded up and heading for the library to e-mail Mollie. In my E-mail to Mollie I mentioned that I would try and get Braddock Lighthouse in today. The winds are good and I have been very lucky. At 13:30 I was on the road to Braddock Point.

Braddock Point was a short drive from Rochester, however on my arrival at it’s location I come to find that there is no access to the light. Closest launch point would be Hamlin Beach State Park 11 miles west of the lighthouse.  Driving the area trying to see the lighthouse I turned off Lighthouse Rd onto Ampor Beach road.  Which is more like a dead end lane, if not private was very close to it.   I drove the complete road and turned around at the end, while slowly driving back out I had to wait for a young man to pull out of his driveway.  He asked if I was lost and I told him what I was doing and that I was looking for a launch location.  Before I knew it he jumped out of his car, which was still blocking me from continuing along the road.   In a couple of minutes he was back, he walked up to my truck introduced himself as Bill Surash and said park there as he pointed to a spot next to thier garage, you may use our boat launch.

I had to carry my Kayak to the garage hidden
behind this pretty lake front home.



He showed me around the house to their boat ramp and then said good bye, he was off to cut the lawn at his grand mother's home in town.









Kayak and gear at the boat ramp I’m ready to go, I lifted the kayak fairly high as the ramp was steep, half way down the ramp I lost my footing and down I went landing on this slippery concert slab and then into the water. I landed on my elbow and hip with the kayak falling on top, laying there I was thinking this is really going to hurt. Slowly rolling or floating the kayak off my arm, not sure now. I managed to crawl out of the water and sat on the ramp for about 10 minutes taking stock. Forearm is some what aching, hip seems ok so not bad all in all.





Just light Motel 6.  They left the light on for us.




Thinking to myself suck it up buttercup lets get on with this, I slowly climb into the kayak and got paddling the 3 kms east to Braddock Lighthouse.










This Lighthouse is now privately own and shows true commitment and pride of ownership. The original tower was 110' tall but had extensive damage so the owners only restored the essence rather than the complete tower.










All I can say “ beautiful “. Several flag/lighthouse photos taken I turn my kayak west and head back to that evil boat ramp. With great care manage to get my kayak and gear on shore with out incident, always a bonus.





Wish to thank the owners of the
lighthouse treasure, your keep a history alive. 




Getting the kayak and gear the 150 yards back to truck and then up on the roof rack, my body is telling me I’m not 20 anymore…smiling. Just as I’m ready to pull away Bill’s mother comes out to meet me and wish me a safe journey. She said she had been busy in the basement and was sorry she missed my paddle as she herself was a kayaker and would have joined me. Goodbyes said I was once again on the road west.  " Shore People " Thank you




Not on any Lighthouse list I found a newly built replica Lighthouse at Point Breeze. I found this lighthouse while looking up Geocaches along the Seaway Trail. Now on Hwy #18, Hwy # 104 just turns into #18 I get to Point Breeze and turn into the village. As I’m heading to the water my GPS chimes, Geocache 65ft, I looked ahead to my left and there is a Restaurant and Yeppers it’s called, The Lighthouse Restaurant.   I pull in and start to look for the cache which I found in short order.   Short Order, Restaurant. Ok, not so funny. 








I did however go in and I had an order of salad and fish………very good I might add.






Light Anyone???
I know I hope I don't get worse. 


Do you think I was mean to eat here.  They like their lighthouses and they have clients that bring them lighthouses from around the world. 












Coffee and late lunch completed,  I head to the Lighthouse called “ Oak Orchard Lighthouse “. I most say nice job to the friends of the lighthouse group.   I take several photos and find the Seaway Trail Geocache at the lighthouse and decide to move on.

  Not an official Lighthouse I decided not to float my boat…….smiling.








This was not a live Goose, it was a decoy glued to the rock.








This was a very nice little park point of interest this lighthouse replica was built by the US Army,  Corp of Engineers out of Buffalo NY


Talking to folks at Oak Orchard Lighthouse they recommended I camp at Golden Hill State Park.





Camp in Front of Thirty Mile Lighthouse




Well to my pleasure I find out that Golden Hill State Park just happens to have a lighthouse. Yeppers this is the location of my next Lighthouse “ Thirty Mile Point “ .  








I arrived at the parks after office hours I was unsure if I could get a camping site for the night. Just then the parks  C.A.P. “ Camper Assistance Program “ Camper came by in his golf cart. He stopped and informed me to take any free campsite and drop by in the morning and straighten up with the Park Administration Staff. While looking at the posted park map I noticed what looked to be the location of the lighthouse. So off I go and you would not believe it a site right in front of the lighthouse.

I set up camp have my dinner and walk the park. There is still lots of day left I’m thinking why not get this Lighthouse done in case tomorrow is another windy day. Armed with the knowledge from the Park C.A.P camper I now know that the park has a boat launch east of the lighthouse by a couple of miles.
So off I go. I arrive at the boat ramp to find it’s in a small lagoon off Lake Ontario. This Lagoon most have caught all the floating algae and moss from the storm the day before, cause it is the worst smelling spot on earth……….I quickly off load the kayak and gear, park the truck in the parking lots and launch right of the dock.   No way do I want to put one foot in this lagoons stagnate water. Paddling out of the lagoon I am pleased to breath fresh air.  

Paddling into the late day sun.




I turn my kayak into the setting sun and head for the Lighthouse in 20 minutes I reach the shore off the lighthouse and take my flag photos.






This is another beautiful Lighthouse and this one is owned by the State Parks. I come to find out later in the evening that they use this lighthouse for public meeting and park staff offices. Also if your to visit this lighthouse during the day you are allowed to climb up to the light and look out. That would have been way cool. As it turned out I was up and gone before the park staff arrived.










History on the shore.























Photos taken I head back east to the Lagoon, NOT THE LAGOON !!!!!! On my way back I take my time an follow the shore. I came across an interesting rock structure/formation and wished that I had Nathan from the last night with me to explain what they were.




Getting back to the lagoon I paddle in just as a state employee was there taking water samples, this made me uneasy. I made sure to pull up beside the dock and crawled out of my boat again, not wishing to get any of that foul smell water on me. The water tech helped me pull my kayak out of the green smelly liquid and load it on the truck. Thanks to Jim, you’re the man, “ Lagoon Man “ in your hip waders.




I get back my camp site I felt all in, another day how many lighthouse did I do? REALLY!!!! Seven Lighthouses in one day. Not counting the Coast Guard light in the Genesee River. Really, is that even possible, I guess so I just did it. Off to the shower and then sleep. 



On the way to the shower I had a nice chat with the folks in the site a couple over from me, they invited me back to share their campfire. I did visit for a short time, what a nice family and life long friend. I said my good nights as I was falling asleep, I was off to bed.  It did not take me long to fell asleep.









This Photo taken on a my short walk around the park.














Beautiful sunset at Thirty Mile Lighthouse.










Knowing I would likely be packed up and ready to go prior the Park Administration Office/Gate opened I wrote a small note giving them my Name, Vehicle Lic. And the site. The C.A.P told me the cost of the site, so I left the cash in an envelope and put on his Golf Cart windshield.






I was in the tent and I’m sure asleep by 21:30hrs, 9:30pm.   Good Night

So Ends Day # 4

Once again folks remember we are raising Awareness & Funds for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Kingston Chapter. If you wish to make a donation/pledge please call the Kingston Chapter at 613-384-8500 . Tell them you wish to pledge to
“ 20 Years To Enlightenment “ and it all stays in the Kingston and area.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment