Monday 30 July 2012

Pigeon Island and Charity Shoal, Wednesday 18 July, 2012




Pigeon Island and Charity Shoal
Wednesday 18 July, 2012

Just getting back from a week away with family and friends at Snug Harbour in our little cabin on Desert Lake. Now it’s time to get back into the Lighthouse project, with lots of blogging yet to do, I was starting to feel guilty for taking my time getting the outdates completed. Then my voice of reason ( Mollie) reminds me that this project was to be about the journey and I have to admit, to date it has been an awesome journey. A journey shared with new acquaintances “ Shore People “, good friends “ Paddle Buddies” and my awesome loved one “ she who most be obeyed “ Mollie.
I was not going to paddle this week but on the 17th I just happened to check the marine forecast as I do most nights. I could not believe what I was reading winds 10 knots South, Southwest with waves 1 meter dropping to ½ meter starting middle morning. This was the weather I’d prayed for to get Pigeon Island completed. Looking at my maps, in a perfect world I could possibly get both Pigeon Island and Charity Shoal done in one trip. In a perfect world, what are the chances. Not wishing to miss this opportunity I phoned Brent, he is normally off on Wednesdays. I would love his company and it’s always good to have a companion on trips like this one.


Brent was home when I called and yes he was off the next day, which was Wednesday the 18th . As much as Brent gets excited, he expressed a keen interest in paddling to Pigeon Island Lighthouse the next day. I mentioned the weather report and we agreed that an early start would not benefit us. We planned to pull out of the laneway at 10:30am, which meant starting to load up 09:30am. As it turned out we were on the road at 10:24am once again heading to the Wolf Island Ferry.

 



While waiting in line for the ferry, I took the opportunity to photograph a few of the shore birds on and around the ferry dock.






Roof Tops






Can you see it, look hard.  I never noticed it till after I took the photo.


Greg & Beth Caldwell
















This is when I had the good fortune of meeting the nice couple in the car ahead us in line. Interested in our lighthouse project, Greg & Beth Caldwell who live on Wolf Island promptly started providing us with needed information. Our quick decision do this paddle, left little or no time to research the basics. So Not Us!!!! we were winging it. This chance meeting was meant to be, Greg was a fountain on local knowledge and he provided answers to many of our planning questions.


Summer Trips on the Wolf Island Ferry
are always full.





Once again, on the ferry heading to the Island, Brent mentioned that he really enjoys this short ride across to the Island.









Armed with Greg’s suggestions we headed for Ease Lane Rd. Ease Lane Rd is a private road that actually follows along the shore of Reeds Bay and stops at the walking trail to Long Point which is about 2.6 kms to its end. The most westerly point of land on Wolf Island and the closest point of land to Pigeon Island. We get to Ease Lane Rd. at the home of Greg’s suggested contact, he was not home. Saddened we turn around and start back in land along Ease Lane. Brent says, look a Kayak on the roof of that car. The car was parked in the lane of one of the shore front homes. I stopped to look and noticed people sitting at a picnic table next to the shore.

I pulled off this small gravel road into the their lane. I get out of the truck and say to Brent they are kayakers maybe they will let us launch from their property. I walk around the house to the waterfront, apologizing for the intrusion I quickly introduced myself and mentioned what Brent and I were doing. I’m not sure what I would have said in their place, but this kind family were so gracious. They welcomed me in and without hesitation said they would love for us to launch from their boat ramp.








Denis & Linda Myers introduced themselves, they explained that property was a rental cottage and they have rented it for many many years. Denis was a Wolf Islander years back, raised in the village of Marysville they come back every summer for a holiday visit. The question is “ do you ever stop being from that childhood home or village “ They now live in Perth.





Brent and I off loaded the kayaks and gear. While going back and forth I noticed Denis had more then a passing interest. Of course what was I thinking he is a paddler, he may wish to join us. Linda finally asked to him quietly, would like to join them. Hearing this I said to Denis would you like to come along. Denis said thanks, but he had promised the family a hike into Big Sandy Bay Park and go swimming at it’s beautiful beach.

Prior to climbing into my kayak I traded e-mail and phone numbers with Denis, and Linda, just in case they were not back from the beach when we completed our paddle. We all wished to keep in touch. Sometimes a person or persons you happen chance to meet, just seem to connect and you hoped you will have the good fortune to meet them again. Denis & Linda were such people. 


Launching with our host Denis watching. 



As we launched off their ramp which was really very good, a rock shelf next to a pier made of boulders, Denis asked is there a time we should start to worry or call someone. This is an experienced paddler talking, we gave him our time line and thanked him for his concern.






We are off, Brent and I start to paddle the 3.1kms from the cottage to the end of Long Point. At the tip of Long Point is where our paddle in open water will start.






As I normally do in the first few minutes of a paddle, I do a check of all my gear. First time ever this has happened, I noticed I have forgotten my spray skirt. Looking at the GPS I see we have already paddled 1.2kms I start the mental debate whether to turn back or not. Staying with my gut and years of training “ only a fool starts out without all the correct gear “ plus my promise to Mollie that I would always “ error on the side of caution “ we turn around. Arriving back at the cottage so soon Denis comes down to the water to meet us asking if everything is alright. I mention the spray skirt and he agreed it was wise to come back.


5 kms off of Pigeon Island 



On our way again the GPS says 9.98kms direct line to Pigeon Island. It seem Brent as well as I feel the need to cut some water. We do short work of the first 3.1kms and cleared the tip of Long Point in about 37minutes. Clearing the point we hit open water, Pigeon Island visible straight ahead but more of a surprise we can actually see and very clearly, Charity Shoal lighthouse to our left.




The Dogger checking out Pigeon Island 




Could we be so lucky. Keeping my thoughts to myself I’m just pleased that we are getting Pigeon Island done. With gentle winds and waves ½ meter minus life is good.








While paddling along to Pigeon, Brent and I chat about everything from our good luck in weather to Brent’s education plans. But it seems our conversation always came around to how close Charity Shoal looked and how calm the winds and waves were.





Getting close and we can start to smell the Island,  We are just under 1 km away.







Rob Holding the MS Flag off shore,
under Pigeon Island Light.  Not one pigeon to be seen.



At approximately 13:10hrs our kayaks glided up to Pigeon Island. We had planned to get out and walk around the island, check it out. Then again as we got close to the island we thought better of this idea for a few reasons. One we were frightened of catching something from all the wet bird shit which painted the island slimy white. Secondly the shore rocks were covered in the sloppiest algae I’ve ever seen, you could not get any safe footing.



Brent watching the birds and hoding the MS Flag.




The last reason, we had made the decision to paddle on to Charity Shoal. Yeppers, as we were paddling the final few meters up to Pigeon Island I asked Brent what do you think about trying for Charity. He looked at me and said “ when will we get another day like this “ I thought to myself right answer young man.





We took our MS Flag photos of Pigeon Island light and allowed ourselves to float off it’s shore for a few minutes. Enjoying the moment, I mentioned to Brent “ we will likely never come back here ever again “ so we sat take it all in, the shit covered white rocks, the many types of water foul and the light.







Sitting off the island chatting, Brent and I thought this light was well designed for this location. It’s designer allowed for strong winds, even waves to pass through the structure without any damaging affect on the light. Very, very smart. We also tried to take in the hundreds of birds flying closely overhead, Brent said lets go. I thought to myself, Brent is frightened. He does not want to have a bird crap on his head….smiling.





Charity Shoal is out in front of my kayak




Taking a GPS reading it said we had a 6.88km paddle to Charity from Pigeon Island. Somewhat different then my map guesstimation, but I was not far off.  During our South Southwest tack to Charity Shoal the winds literally stopped and the waves started to lay down, I can’t believe how lucky we have been. Every action has a reaction….. right. No wind meant a hotter paddle. I’m ok with lots of sun block and water.






I look ahead to my left and the Dogger is maintaining a great pace, youth!!!! As long as you feed him, he is like the Eveready Bunny. Really, I’m thankful to have this young man as a nephew and paddle buddy he is fun to be around.



What a day, we are going to get two lighthouses done, not one but two. Again I look over at Brent, I was blown away by the awesome view of Wolfe Island with all it windmills.








Half way to Charity Shoal.  I was hoping to get it in as well, you can tell by my map......The Island ahead in front of the my kayak.





One in a million photo.  Lake Ontario so flat,
Brent, freighter and Charity Shoal Lighthouse.
Awesome!!!!! 







Around half way to charity I notice a Freighter Ship coming out of the Lower St Lawrence River between Wolfe Island, and Cape Vincent, NY. What a sight, Brent the freighter and Charity Shoal lighthouse, this will be a once in a lifetime photo.




We get to the Charity Shoal by 15:15hrs / 3 :15 pm. The water and skies have so much colour I take many many photos. Once again who knows if we will ever have the opportunity to come back and see it so beautiful. We decide to have a floating lunch because climbing out of our kayaks onto the Shoals slippery poop covered rocks did not have much appeal.







Rob in front of Charity Light.  I love this lighthouse.








Brent with the MS Flag, Charity Shoal Lighthouse.








After drinking lots of water and munching down all our lunch we headed for Wolf Islands Long Point.





Windmills in front of my kayak,
head to Long Point





Our GPS states that Charity to Long Point is a 7.7km paddle as the Cormorant fly’s. It was hear that Brent and I said wouldn’t it be great if the winds started. Well we had paddled about 4kms of this leg when a slight breeze started pushing us, the waves increase in height. We love the paddle gods.









Now about 2kms off Long Point the winds had increased to the point where we decided to try the sail that Mollie had made us. We have used this sail many times before and know that we can cover great distances in a very short time, with little effort. With sail up, we rounded Long Point doing around 5.5 kph.




Long Point ahead we are under sail.




Then headed into Reeds Bay to our launch point. Can you believe we sailed the last 5.8kms of this 33km paddle day, life is good.









The question here is, can two paddlers have a perfect trip, I can now say yes. Had I not forgot my spray skirt, would we have caught this southwest wind on the way back. Who Knows?









Just about 1 km off shore we pulled down the sail and paddled up the pier where Linda our launch host, happened to be leaning on the rail taking photos of us coming in.








Linda took this photo of Rob arriving back at the launch. We got her done, both lighthouses what a great day.











Brent at the end of the day, Yeppers 33kms ............ Feed Me!!!!!! I'm hungry.







We got off the water 19:20hrs / 7: 20pm making this a 33km paddle over all, with the mini round trip for my spray skirt…..smiling. About 7 hrs total, with floating around taking photos and having lunch on the water. Not a bad day. On shore now, Denis and Linda provided us with a fresh drink of cold waters, Brent texted his Mother telling her and Mollie we were off the water safe and sound. Not having to worry about folks back home worrying, we sat and chatted for a good hour with our hosts, just getting to know them.


I’m thinking now is a good time to tell you about Denis and Linda. Both very accomplished in their passions. Denis is more then a social worker by day and on weekends a solo canoeist, who has paddled some very challenging white water rivers. I know I could learn a lot from Denis about paddling this type of water. Linda is a Graphic Designer who’s real passion is painting in watercolours.





Linda Myers,
 While chatting this humble couple very casually mentioned their hobbies. I had to press Linda to see her art and Denis to give me links to his photo's. Just an amazing couple. “ Shore People “




Linda has painted many of Perth, Ontario’s historic buildings. I will attach her Facebook Studio link with her permission. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150132801998554.323076.648608553&type=3&l=aedf8ef19a


It was hard to leave such nice people, but we did have to get going home. We said our good byes and headed to Marysville to catch the Wolfe Islander. 

Windmills just outside Maryville Wolf Island



On the trip across the island Brent and I once again had the debate on windmills. As it turned out we both felt positive about them, I personally love the look of them on shore and in the fields.






How can this be a bad thing?









While waiting for the evening ferry all waiting were blessed with the most beautiful sunset.











Skies over Lake Ontario, while crossing from Wolf Island to Kingston.  They just kept increasing in beautiful. I know no words that can truly describe how magnificent a day Brent and I shared.






Life is awesome today.








Out Takes Photo's















 This leaves 6 Lighthouse to paddle.  

Once again folks remember we are raising Awareness & Funds for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Kingston Chapter. If you wish to make a donation/pledge please call the Kingston Chapter at 613-384-8500 . Tell them you wish to pledge to
“ 20 Years To Enlightenment “ and it all stays in the Kingston and area.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like being in the right place and the right time and watching for/making great opportunities! What an awesome day for you and Brent. That Brent is such a treasure. Of course I may be slightly bias, but what a great easy going hard working young man. Kudos for you Rob taking on this challenge and enjoying every minute of it and bringing Brent along with you, he will remember these days the rest of his life. What an EXPERIENCE! I follow whenever I can, all the best in your next adventure. Love, Margaret

    ReplyDelete