Tuesday 29 May 2012

Friday 26 May, 2012 Toronto Harbour Lighthouses

Friday 26 May, 2012   Toronto Harbour Lighthouses

Remember: clicking on photo's will enlarge them.


This weekend was a planned family visit to Burlington as Mollie was invited to attended our niece-in-law's baby shower. To my surprise, Mollie suggested that I bring the Kayak along and with luck the forecasted thunderstorms for Toronto held off, I could paddle Toronto Harbour lighthouses and we still could make Burlington around supper time.

Well this day was a day of First’s. It was a the first time I had driven Young St from Hwy 401 to the water front. Hummmmm I believe this will be the last. Yeppers been there, don’t have to do it again. It was the first time I was actually in Toronto Harbour, in very large waves, I might add. First time, swimming in Lake Ontario on 26 May, Yeppers brrrrrrrr     First time, to actually do a vehicle drive by lighthouse photo shoot.

Mollie and I arrived at our chosen launch location “ Cherry Beach “ in Torornto Harbour and as it turns out was an awesome spot all the way around. The Beach had a chip wagon and washrooms, plus a harbour Marine Rescue Police Station. All the things that Mollie needed to be comfortable while she waited my return. As it turned out Cherry Beach is a very well known Dog Park, Mollie was just in heaven watching the many different breeds of dogs and along with their colourful owners all playing happily on the park's beach. Ok back to Lighthouses. Cherry Beach is about 1.7 kms away from the Toronto Lighthouse which is located on Toronto’s Aquatic Parks most westerly point of land. 


Arrows show my paddle route,

Our paddle plan was for me to paddle from Cherry Beach to the Toronto Lighthouse, turn northwest and paddle the 2.7 kms to the west facing shore of Centre Island to the Gibraltar Lighthouse located inland well off the shore. This meant getting out of my kayak, walking the 200 meters to the light then getting back in my kayak and heading back to Cherry Beach the 4.1 kms.

Slight waves make launch Fun


Under heavy skies and the threat of thunderstorms later that afternoon we decided I could still get this paddle in before the real nasty weather hit. The strong winds and rising waves really had little effect on my face on launch.


Heading Outer Harbour Channel




As I paddled across Main Harbour Channel to the outer harbour, the wind and waves had increased a great deal making paddling a little trickier.





Having to look over the waves.




Wow these waves were getting large .













Watching the dive bombers,  attack


I really wasn’t noticing the heavier waves as I became fixated on the huge number of shore birds. At one point their calls truly drowned out any other sounds around me, it was amazing.   Getting any kind of decent photo of the birds was difficult with the sizeable waves doing crazy things with my kayak. All my senses were on overload, the bird cries, my eyes taking in all the cool sights and a few waves rolling over the deck of the kayak challenging my balance, what a blast.



Facebook photo


Even with all the distractions I reached the TO Lighthouse in about 25 minutes, took my photos with the waves hitting me side on.










Toronto Lighthouse
This was not a nice place to land so moved on.


Not wanting to get too close to the lighthouse because of the heavy waves that move you along so quickly I could have easily ended up on the rocks. So in the spirit of safety, wink !!!  I stayed well away hence no good close up photo of this Lighthouse, I can “ live “ with that. After taking my pictures, eating a bar and having a drink I then headed the 2.7 kms cross wind and waves to Gibraltar Point.





What a view of Toronto shore line and the CN Tower


Paddling this tack I was looking directly at the Toronto skyline, with the Toronto Tower front and center. I think to myself, had I not taken on this lighthouse adventure I would have never experience this special view of the city, just awesome.





The Gibraltar Point Beach




























Making Gibraltar Point, it took me a little while to locate the lighthouse from the water. As mentioned it was well inland and all I could see was a little red spot part of the roof. My landing at Gibraltar Point was interesting as the waves were now directly behind me and rolling over the boat. I would have to move very fast once I made my mind up to leave the kayak. I needed to pull my skirt off, jump out and pull the boat ashore before the next wave filled the kayak or better yet the next wave rolling in tossing us both ashore. It was not graceful, but this old guy managed to pull the skirt, get out and the next wave did hit filling the boat. I pulling my now very heavy kayak ashore, pumped it out and readied it for the launch, knowing full well it will be a very challenging task. Gibraltar Point has very nice sandy beaches.

I was thinking about the life Ring ????


To find the lighthouse I took a path through some bushes just down from my landing point, about 40 meters in on the path I came across what looked to be an unused tent.






I don't know how I saw this lights
red roof






I continued on to a clearing and there in front of me was a small roadway and the lighthouse. What an attractive natural setting.


Made it Gibraltar Lighthouse.















Look at where the pier is, it comes in to play later.
Beautiful Beach and the Sun is not out, great day





While I was taking my photos a nice couple “ Alynn & Peter “ said Hi. I asked them if they would take my photo in front of the lighthouse, which they where happy to do. After a little walk around and a chat with Peter to explain why I was dressed in a wetsuit. I was about to say my good byes when Alynn asked which way to the beach, new friends in tow, they followed me back to the beach and my kayak.




This is when the true adventures began.   In the short time I was in visiting the lighthouse the wind had picked up a great deal. This making launching face on almost impossible.   Recruiting my new friends they held the kayak's back end trying to keep it straight into the waves. The same as getting out but in reverse I had to jump in the kayak and put on my spray skirt,  all before the next wave slammed into and over the boat and me. On the fourth attempt I managed to get off shore with my skirt on, so I thought.   I was about forty meters off shore stopped to wave good bye to my new shore crew when the back of my spray skirt flipped up and the whole skirt came off.  Worst case, the next wave filled the kayak and the next rolled me over. Swimming 26 May, brrrrrrrr.  Swimming the kayak back to shore I broke one of my biggest rules “do not get between shore and a water filled kayak in heavy waves“ . As I got to waist high water I turned to pull the kayak into shore and a wave picked it up and slammed it into my chest, knocking me under the water as the water filled kayak rolled over me.  I knew better, however lesson learnt the hard way. I’m OK …..smiling. 

Photo taken before launch attempts note pier.




Now this heavy kayak was being pushed ashore so I got up and slid it further onto dry land.  My shore crew came back to see if I was alright, they noticed I had lost my favourite ball cap. By now the thought of trying another launch from this location did not please me.






Earlier I had thought of walking the kayak about 200 meters down the shore and launch from behind a small pier, but lifting the kayak and carrying it all that way was out of the question.   Also walking it in the water with the waves so high, was also not going to happen.   Standing there watching the waves, Alynn asks, would it be better to launch from behind that pier. I said yes but the lift would kill me, she turned to Peter and said lift that side. With me at the front and the two of them on the rear we hiked the kayak along, with two breaks we make it to the pier. The waves were still straight on, but if I got in very close to the pier the waves were not as large. With Peter holding the rear of the kayak I jumped in, skirted up proper this time and with a push from Peter I was crashing into the waves. Yelling behind me thanks and saying to Peter his shoes will dry in a couple of days. Thanking them again and again. If Peter & Alynn read this, I just want to say again, many thanks, you guys are great ……..What fun life is, when some days you just jump in!!


Views along the way back to Cherry Beach



With waves at my back the last 4.1 kms flew by and I mean flew, I was surfing the waves. I paddled along Wards Island across Eastern Gap onto Cherry Beach. This part of the trip went very quick.





The day just kept getting better. 


The waves don't look very large, but what a ride.








Waves crashing kite boarder and CN Tower











Hatless arriving back at Cherry Beach



Mollie met me on landing and she first asked where my hat was? I told her have I got a story for you, at which point she began to help strip my kayak.










Picking up my GPS I noticed it was saying Max speed 17.7 km/h now that’s fast. I really was having a ball in the high waves, man what a rush!!!!!!!











Loading the kayak on the truck was made easy with help from a young para/kiter by the name of Fraser……nice young man thanks Fraser. Wow !!! and not even 4pm.



Leaving Cherry Beach we got back onto Lake Shore Blvd west heading to Queens Wharf light which is on land between Lake Shore Blvd and Fleet St. Being Friday afternoon with traffic very heavy, we kept to our plan to just take a photo while driving slowly by the Queens Wharf lighthouse. Which in my eyes has long been off the active lighthouse list. We got our photo and headed to Burlington with a weekend of adventures to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment