Thursday 31 May 2012

26 May, 2012 Burlington Canal Range/Oakville Old & New



 Burlington Canal Range/Oakville Old & New

Saturday morning after a wonderful and very large breakfast which Mollie’s sister Dona and her husband Fred laid on for us, I readied my gear for my days paddle trip. I am Solo today as everyone else has set chores, getting ready for the Baby Shower the next day. Fred doing a lot of yards work and the girls, well they did what girls do for a baby shower. Weather Saturday was calling for 25 C and sunny, so I decided at last minute to get both Burlington & Oakville lights in as they where calling for 19c Rain with Thunderstorms for Sunday.  Kayak and gear all loaded I said my good byes and head south to the water. As I passed the grocery shore named Mary Lou’s located on a corner leaving Dona & Fred neighbourhood. I noticed a MS Charity event sign, so I pulled in. Well I met some very nice folks, the owners Bill & Andrea Bates.


Andrea was out all day, at this door



Andrea, What a smile, Yep she is from Newfoundland.  She is a sweety.








Bill Bates greeting people at the garden center
all day.


You really have to Thank folks like Bill & Andrea for what they do.  They have raised many thousands of dollars for their local MS Chapter.

I believe they have been doing this event at their store for 10 years. 









I was not long chatting with Bill when he mentioned that he was also a kayaker. I Invited him to join us when we come back to do the Port Dalhousie Front & Rear lighthouses. Bill seem pleased and mentioned that he has paddle these lights and knows the area well. Awesome, I love meeting new and interesting people. Better yet, spending time with them on the water.






Rob with a couple of event volunteers
Great Burg's



After a couple of pictures and an excellent hamburger with some volunteers, it was time to hit the water.







This was such a sunny day, the camera could not
ajust the light or maybe it was me.  Launch at
Beachway Park




Doing the Burlington Canal lights first my plan was to launched from Lakeshore Roads, Beachway Park.  Arriving at the launch, I could not believe my good fortune, the water was like glass. Launching from the beach was fun as it is one of them beach where you can walk out a 100 ft and still be in 3 ft of water.


Burlington Front Light



Water was like glass most of the time here, just beautiful.









Don & Paula holding our flag



No Spray skirts today, just a nice light paddle to the Front Light. As I approached the light there was a nice couple sitting looking out watching. Well the next thing you know this nice couple Don & Paula are holding our MS flag for the picture. Thanks Guys. After several photos and kind good byes I head through the Burlington Canal for the Rear Light.

Canal and lift bridge




It really was a bright day, my water camera has a difficult time with the reflections I guess.












This canal is not very long but it was fun, just as I got to the lift bridge it started to lift allowing a few sailboats to pass under. 








Making to the rear lighthouse, I was just getting lined up for the best angle because this light is well back from the canal with buildings and the bridge blocking most sides.
The lighthouse is still in not bad shape, considering where it’s located. So getting line up I noticed two very cute little girls with their parents waving at me. The parents said hello and one thing lead to another and next thing you know the" Bush Family " are holding the MS flag in front of Burlington Canal Rear Lighthouse. This nice young family just moved to Hamilton and where out for the weekend exploring. Thanks folks and good luck with your move.





The Bush Family, what a nice young family.  I wish them all the best.




Photo taken so you could see the Lighthouse
with the bridge builting in front. 
















After many pictures of the Rear Lighthouse and a lovily chat, I headed back to Beachway Park.  Making it back in to Beachway in record time I was sitting there eating an apple when a nice young couple “ Dan & Ashleigh “ come up asking about my kayak. One thing lead to another, they are kayakers as well and would love to join us when we do Port Dalhousie Front & Rear lighthouses later this summer. Nice meeting you folks and will we wil let you know when we coming your way, for sure.







The Old Oakville Lighthouse


The Kayak loaded I’m off to Oakville Marina where the old lighthouse is now standing. Wow, what a shock. This light is now standing right in front of the Marina’s building. I may add at this time, the Marina folks are doing a great job at keeping it in good shape. They where just finishing replacing the cedar shake siding and had not yet painted it. I got a few photo’s from the kayak in this very busy harbour.

Very busy place on a weekend.



I could not believe the number of very large sail boats in such a small harbour. 








Oakville New Light




I then paddled to the outer pier where I found the new light under repair or annual maintenance being done.






Oakville New Light
Not pretty but we did visit it all the same.



To my good fortune a fellow kayaker came out of the harbour shortly after I did.  I asked “ I believe this lovely lady said her name was Edine, if she would take my photo with the light behind.
The noise from the construction was very load so I hope I have Adine's name correct, she did say it was old Scottish.





What a pleasant person sorry for the poor photo
I did not catch your great smile. 




Thanks Adine for the great photo’s











This was taken on my way back into Oakville Harbour.  Many many large sailboats.  While in the Oakville Harbour a gentleman I was chatting with, asked if I had visited the Bronte Lighthouse. I told him, I had to admit I had not heard anything about a Bronte lighthouse. He say it was in the Bronte Harbour attached to the Boat Club Restaurant.



Light as you enter the Marina at Bronte




As this lighthouse was on my way back to Burlington I thought what the heck, what is one more right. So into Bronte Marina Park off load and paddle to this Lighthouse. 








Bronte Marina





Well I come to find out that the Bronte Lighthouse was never a lighthouse it was built onto the restaurant to give it a more maritime theme. It was pretty so I took a couple of photos just the same, been there done that…..






The last photo of the day.

It was a great day on the water.  I met some wonderful people who do wonderful things to help thier friends and neighbours.  I wish to thank all the kind people who helped me on this busy Saturday.  Returning to the In-Laws, I had stories to tell and they shared theirs.  We sat to a great dinner, good wine and excellent company, Thanks You Dona & Fred.  Now I just have to stay out of the way tomorrow when the Baby Shower is happening, mmmmmmmmmm  well maybe not, I seen all the great food they have for it, maybe us guys can return early before it's all gone.


Once again Folks remember we are raising Awareness & Funds for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Kingston Chapter. If you wish to make a donation/pledge please call the Kingston Chapter at 613-384-8500 . Tell them you wish to pledge to 20 Years To Enlightenment and it all stays in the Kingston and area.




Thanks Rob & Mollie



No comments:

Post a Comment